About graphic processing unit (GPU) android
GPU also plays an important role when we used to play Android games class 3D High Definition (HD) video or high quality. Well, for those of you who often play games or graphics processing, this article can help you all about the GPU used on Android devices. The following are the types of GPU installed for Android to help the performance of the CPU or the graphics processor in the process:
Adreno series ATI which is made, or used to be called ATI imageon series, circa 2002-2004 is at the beginning of the release of this GPU series. In 2008, AMD imageon sold to one of the leading manufacturers of processors, namely Quallcom. And now ATI / AMD only supports the architecture and development only. Now Adreno series is inherited from all the SOC (System On Chip) made Quallcom. Adreno itself is also divided into several classes:
- Adreno 130, which resides in the SOC Quallcom MSM7xxx series.
- Adreno 200, which is at QSD8x50 (1st gen snapdragon, QSD is the code of the series snapdragon SOC) and MSM7x27 (MSM is code for SOC products quallcom for general series). Usually, this series Adreno Android handhelds used in low-end (low specs, with a 600-800 MHz processor).
- Adreno 205 in QSD8x50A (1.3 GHz), MSM7x30 (800 MHz + L2 cache), MSM8x55 (1 GHz + L2 cache).
- Adreno 220, is their latest flagship, I myself have had a lot of info about the Adreno 220, but it seems it has Multi-Core GPU (more than one processor core). This series is typically used in handheld Android class Mid-End and High-End (a high specification, with a 1GHz processor above).
PowerVR Series is the first artificial logic video also enliven the VGA market, but as the dominance of NVIDIA and ATI video logic now only play in the world of mobile gadgets GPU. PowerVR itself is not in production in finished form by power logic, but they are only a draft architecture, which sold the license to many of the leading processor manufacturers such as NEC, Intel, Freescale, Texas Instruments and others.
PowerVR Series now in its sixth series, the second ever used in its game console in the 1900s, the Dream cast, and Sega Saturn. PowerVR SGX Series 5 is the series most often found on smartphones, SGX GPU 5 is an elite in the world of smartphones, the world might be like BMW cars. SGX listed J.Seri been used in a variety of smartphones and gadgets follows:
- SOC A4/SGX535 (iPhone 4/ipod gen4/ipad)
- Hummingbird/SGX540 clock SOC 200 (Samsung Galaxy S)
- OMAP SOC 3/SGX530 series (Droid X, Motorola Defy, Samsung Galaxy SL, Motorola Mile 2, Droid 2 and LG Optimus Black)
- Intel GMA 500 and GMA 600 also uses SGX535 as onboard VGA intel atom
- The next 5-series variants SGXMP (MP here indicates the number of cores) OMAP SOC 4 (4430) / SGX540MP quadcore clocked 300 (Blackberry Playbook, LG Optimus 3D).
- SOC A5/SGX543MP2 (iPad 2).
- SGX543MP4, which is used in the Playstation Vita.
- Besides the next series, SGX544MP + OMAP 5 will be dual quad-core CPUs that use the A15 (eagle platform) + dual CPU Cortex-M4 processor cores with up to 2 GHz clock.
Mali series, this GPU is made in the ARM architecture, though still rarely heard his name, but its power can not be underestimated. Mali GPU series outstanding from HDTVs, gaming consoles (PS3), up to a smartphone. Especially for smartphone, the series used is 400MP4 Mali (MP is the core indicators used). GPU is part of the SOC A9 1.2GHz Exynos dual-core CPU Samsung's Galaxy S II. Reportedly 400MP4 Mali is able to render almost equivalent to the PS3 and Xbox 360.
Series GeForce ULP (Ultra Low Power) are concentrated in that part of the GPU Tegra 2 SOC manufactured by NVIDIA. Geforce ULP uses quadcore 4 pixel shaders + 4 vertex shaders up to a total of 8 cores that are in it.
This is not surprising because the OMAP 4 has a few secret weapons like supports dual channel DDR2 memory up to 1GB LP, where the new Tegra 2 is capable of using a single channel. Back again SOC capabilities greatly determine the outcome, as well as Snapdragon with its core scorpion, would be defeated perform with Tegra 2? Not really, mainly for multimedia results which force snapdragon and Adreno indeed in optimizing on this side.
Next obstacle in comparing these monsters are different ways of GPU rendering that performed on each platform, such as snapdragon SOC Adreno the usual rendering method (when passing limits) lower quality but maintain that framerate awake resolutions, while the Hummingbird GPU SGX540 GPU renders its pure use of force even fixed by turning on vsync. Though our eyes seen his performance is almost the same, the results were not much different framerate, but if vsync is turned off and compared the picture quality will be seen where the SGX540 is really a monster and very quick!